Ingredients & Cooking Directions for Thịt Kho Tàu - Caramelized Pork and Eggs
Kitchen Equipment used in this Video
Induction Cooker: http://amzn.to/2nyw4eF
Cooking gloves: http://amzn.to/2mcNotv
Clear bowls: http://amzn.to/2nAy4Um
Square plate: http://amzn.to/2mT5fCw
Long chopsticks: http://amzn.to/2mSw6yK
Estimated Servings: 4-5
Marinate the pork
2 pounds pork shoulder, cubed into 2 inch pieces
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced red onions
1. In a large bowl, add the ingredients listed above, mix it up, and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
2. Marinate the pork in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Assemble the dish
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped red onions
2 cups water
¼ cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon thick dark soy sauce (optional)
1. Turn your stove on medium high heat and pour oil into a large pot.
2. When oil is hot, add in the ginger, garlic, and onion stir frying them until fragrant.
3. Add the marinated pork coating it with the ginger, garlic and onion browning the pork on all sides.
4. Pour in coco soda, water and add the eggs making sure to submerge them in the liquid distributing them evenly throughout the pot. Then turn the stove down to medium low, and allow to simmer while you make the caramel.
5. To make the caramel pour a small ladle of the liquid from the pork and eggs in a small pot. Add in the sugar and turn stove on medium. Continuously stir the sugar in the liquid until it turns into a golden-brown caramel. Pour the caramel into the pot of pork and eggs.
6. When the pork and eggs comes to a boil, skim the foam off the top of the liquid, turn stove down to low, cover the pot with a lid, and braise the pork and eggs for about 45 minutes or until the pork is tender. Make sure to taste and adjust seasoning if needed. For a darker color and saltier flavor, dark soy sauce can be added.
7. Turn off the heat and pour in green onions reserving a small amount for garnish.
8. Plate the pork and eggs on a serving plate making sure to pour the sauce on top and sprinkle chopped green onions on top. Serve with steamed rice and pickled mustard greens.