Ingredients & Cooking Directions for Vietnamese Roasted Catfish (Cá Nướng Da Giòn)
Kitchen Equipment used in this Video
Induction cooker: http://amzn.to/2nyw4eF
Cooking gloves: http://amzn.to/2mcNotv
Clear bowls: http://amzn.to/2nAy4Um
Small whisk: http://amzn.to/2ergtLi
Baking pan: http://amzn.to/2ujHRC5
Aluminum foil: http://amzn.to/2wrgFnB
Aluminum tray: http://amzn.to/2wqRUId
Long chopsticks: http://amzn.to/2mSw6yK
Estimated Servings: 4
1 headless catfish (3 pound), cleaned, butterflied, with black outer layer removed
½ red onion, peeled and sliced
¼ cup ginger, peeled and sliced
½ cup melted unsalted butter
2 tablespoons hot water
1. To make a dry seasoning, add salt, garlic powder, and black pepper in a small bowl mixing to combine. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven for 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Cut vertical slits about 1 ½ inches apart through the skin along both sides of the fish and place it in a roasting pan.
4. Brush butter all over fish and brush oil on skin of fish and sprinkle dry seasonings prepared earlier all over the fish.
5. Add the red onion and ginger slices into the inside of the fish touching the flesh and position the fish so that the skin is facing up and has a chance to get golden brown in the oven.
6. Place the fish in the middle rack of the oven and roast for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and brush fish skin with a generous amount of oil and butter.
8. Place fish back into oven and allow it to roast for another 10 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and brush fish skin with a generous amount of oil and butter.
10. Place fish back into oven and allow it to roast for another 10 minutes.
11. In a bowl, mix honey and hot water together. (handle hot liquid with caution)
12. Remove from the oven and brush fish skin with honey mixture
13. Place fish back in oven and roast for another 10 minutes with the honey mixture.
14. Turn oven to broil for about 5 minutes or until skin is crispy golden brown and fish is fully cooked on the inside and flaky. (Total cooking time: 40 minutes roasting and 5 minutes broil)
15. Remove fish from oven and allow fish to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
½ cup chopped green onions
1. Turn stove on medium heat and add oil. When oil gets hot add green onions in mixing it up with oil until sizzle and remove from heat.
2. Spoon green onion oil all over the top if the fish.
3. Top fish with fried shallots, roasted peanuts, cilantro sprigs and place lime wedges around the fish.
Thinly sliced sour mango
Fresh mint leaves