Ingredients & Cooking Directions for Shrimp Tempura
Kitchen Equipment used in this Video
Stainless steel bowls: http://amzn.to/2mYeGCs
Induction Cooker: http://amzn.to/2nyw4eF
Cooking gloves: http://amzn.to/2mcNotv
Glass dish: http://amzn.to/2njzoxE
Paper towels: http://amzn.to/2nBPAru
Clear bowls: http://amzn.to/2nAy4Um
Cooling rack: http://amzn.to/2nAJJCG
Long chopsticks: http://amzn.to/2mSw6yK
Cutting board: http://amzn.to/2nByQka
Estimated servings: 5
10 large shrimp
1. Wash shrimp with salted water, drain in a colander and dry with paper towels.
2. Peel and devein the shrimp leaving the tail on.
3. Scrap the shrimp tail removing the black liquid inside the tail to prevent splattering when frying.
4. To straighten the shrimp, cut slits on the belly side of the shrimp.
5. Flip the shrimp over, hold the shrimp with both hands, and press it down breaking the veins to lengthen and straighten the shrimp.
6. Rinse the shrimp with water and dry them with paper towels.
7. Refrigerate the shrimp until ready to use.
¾ cup ice-cold water
1. Fill wok or pan at least 2 inches deep with oil and bring it to 355 degrees F.
2. While oil is heating up, pour 1 cup of tempura flour into a shallow dish, dredge shrimp to coat with flour and set aside.
3. To make batter, beat the egg and add ice-cold water and 1 cup of tempura flour into a mixing bowl. Mix until combined but still lumpy. Be careful not to over mix!
4. Set bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice to keep the batter cold.
5. To fry the shrimp, coat with the cold batter and carefully slide it into the hot oil.
6. Cook a batch of 3 shrimp at a time for about 2-3 minutes or until shrimp is fully cooked on the inside and lightly golden brown on the outside. For additional crispiness, lightly sprinkle some of the batter on the shrimp while it is frying.
7. Between batches, remove the batter crumbs which will burn and turn the oil darker if left in pan.
8. Place on rack to drain excess oil.
1 shiso leaf (optional)
1. Coat one side of Shiso leaf with tempura batter, fry for 30 seconds in oil and place on rack to drain.
2. To plate the dish, lay one tempura shrimp down and place the other shrimp in a criss-cross position with the tail pointing upwards.
3. Lean a Shiso leaf on the shrimp and serve alongside with the tempura sauce (https://goo.gl/RtLt1C ), grated daikon and ginger.