Estimated servings: 4
1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter inside of ramekins and set aside.
- Turn stove on medium heat and add sugar and lemon juice into a small pan swirling occasionally until caramel begins to turn amber, 5-6 minutes.
- Quickly divide caramel between 4 ramekins, swirling ramekins to coat bottoms evenly, set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat milk over medium heat until hot, but not boiling. Remove heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs, egg yolk, sugar, and salt whisking to combine. While whisking, pour in milk into the egg mixture a little at a time until all the milk is added.
- Then pour vanilla extract into the mixture and whisk to combine.
- Strain custard through a fine sieve into a large liquid measuring cup and divide custard evenly among ramekins.
- Transfer ramekins to baking pan and add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake until custards are just set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove ramekins with tongs from hot water and allow to cool.
- Cover ramekins with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours.
- Unmold by running a sharp knife around inside of each ramekin and invert onto a serving plate, gently shaking to release.